Forefront Pinot Noir 2012

£19.99

TASTING NOTE

Brilliant aromas of juicy red cherry, strawberry and rhubarb amid hints of subtle cinnamon. The palate teems with luscious blueberry, raspberry and vivid cherry fruit. Vibrant acidity and faultless balance characterise the lush palate. The wine finishes smoothly with hints of ground clove and bramble berry lingering to the last.

Sourced from diverse vineyards located on the Central Coast of California, the defining characteristic is coastal influence. The San Luis Obispo County grapes provide a base of dense, black fruit and spice notes, due to rich soils and a long growing season. Santa Barbara County, with its marine soils and warmer climate, adds bright, lifted red cranberry and strawberry character. The small amount of Sonoma County fruit adds an interesting counterpoint of earthy varietal undertones.

78% of the grapes came from San Luis Obispo County in the Edna Valley. Cooler than usual temperatures lasted throughout the growing season of 2011 until a warmer October led to optimal ripeness at the time of harvest. The remaining 22% of Pinot Noir was harvested from Monterey County where below-average temperatures persisted during the growing season. Evenly-ripened, the fruit here had excellent colour extraction and bright acidity.

Picked by hand in the cool of the coastal night, these grapes were hand-sorted at the winery before being destemmed into stainless steel open-top fermenters. After a short cold soak, the juice was inoculated with cultured yeasts and fermented for 8-14 days. The caps were punched down twice a day by hand to gently extract colour and flavour. The wine was pressed to oak barrels for malolactic fermentation and ageing.

13.9% abv

Forefront Pinot Noir 2012
Product Images (click to enlarge)
  • Forefront Pinot Noir 2012